Saturday, March 21, 2009

Bangkok

Back in Bangkok... hard to believe; it seems like I was just here!

The flight went smoothly, and Singapore Airlines definitely lived up to the hype. A hot meal on a 2 hour flight? Spacious and comfortable seats in economy class? I wanted to see KLIA, Singapore International's main terminal, and Singapore Airlines first hand, hence my booking... but I wasn't actually sure if it'd be worth the extra cash I had to shell out over Air Asia (a discount airline with very cheap rates for flights in and around SE Asia), but it definitely was. I can see why it's rated the world's best airline!

Anyway, upon arrival in Bangkok, I caught the shuttle to my hotel, then grabbed a taxi off to Khao San Road for some last minute souvenir pick-ups. There were a couple things I wanted to grab that I didn't buy last time, and Betty had requested that I pick her up a couple items as well. Had a little more phad thai from a street stall, and then it was back to the hotel... or so I thought! The cab I caught couldn't figure out where the hotel was, even though I had a little map to it as well as the directions written in Thai, so the driver passed me off to her husband or friend(?) who attempted to drive me there in his personal car. He didn't really know the way either, though, and was on the phone for most of the trip getting directions (or something)... I could only make out a bit of his frantic Thai, but in the end, we made it here, much to the relief of both him and I. In fact, I think he may have been happier than I was when we finally arrived!

I was planning on getting to bed early, but I ended up in the hotel bar (well, outside... it was 34 C when I arrived, and it's still 29 C with 80% humidity--"feels like 40 C"--at 11 pm) having a few beers. They had a big screen projection TV which was, oddly enough, playing a DVD with live concerts of Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and amazingly, Sarah McLachlan! It was like I was back in Canada already!

I'm catching a shuttle back to the airport (5-10 minutes away) at 6 am, and then that's it, I'll be on the plane headed for home. See you at the airport!

1 comment: